Author Topic: Compound Turbos  (Read 246 times)

jim2500

• View Profile
Compound Turbos
« on: February 24, 2020, 06:18:18 AM »
Are compound turbos really worth the money? I am thinking about getting a compound turbo set up but it is a lot of money to spend. Any suggestions? Do I need to put head studs in? With the kits do they give you everything I would need or is there more.

timdodge

• View Profile
Re: Compound Turbos
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 06:20:29 AM »
All I can say is if you put compound turbos on you will love them.

Kris8899

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 06:23:35 AM »
I made my own compound system for $440 bucks.:)  I bought a borgwarner K27 and K31 rebuildable cores that were off new wrecks and used those. Both are like new and work really nice.  I'll be road testing them soon.

Glenn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 07:03:43 AM »
I built my own compound turbos also. I have videos of the build on my YouTube channel. The first time I did it it was on a stock engine. What you have to think about is, fule = boost so you need some kind of tuner to add more fuel. Dodge valve springs are rated at about 45 pounds, what that means is if you go over 45 pounds of boost you can do what they call float the valves ( not to mention the head gasket failure).  This is when the boost keeps the valves open because the boost is stronger than the springs. I ran compounds on my stock engine for about 150,000 miles with no problems. But I keep the boost below 45 pounds. You say why put compound turbos on then, with compounds you get instant boost, there is no watering for boost to build. I rebuilt my engine at 400,000 miles and went all out head studs, crankshaft studs, heavy dutty pushrods, 110 pounds valve springs, bigger injectors, and a couple of other things. I have been running it this way for about 160,000 miles and love it. They say once you go compounds you will want everything to have compounds. To make your own compound set up you need to have basic welding skills to make the pipe ( my welds are not beautiful but they work ).

me12345

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 07:09:19 AM »
If you have the money buy a set up. You can tell the vendor what you want to do and they can guide you the right way.My wife woud kill me if I told here I was going to spend 5-6 grand to make my truck go fast.

me go fast

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 01:09:56 PM »
Just do it you will be happy